Monday, March 1, 2010

Mini vacation abroad



Soooooo, Tuesday afternoon I rolled over to the buzzing sound of my phone in the middle of a nap to see that I had received an email. In my hazy half asleep state, I read an email from one of the program coordinators saying my apartment, B-2, needed to temporarily move out THE NEXT DAY AT 5pm to the apartment down the hall. TERRIFIC. Apparently there was some sort of water leakage happening below us and they thought the origin was coming from our humble homey apartment. Therefore, move out!

The four of us picked up the next day and moved all of our stuff down the hall to a new apartment that was less familiar, closer quarters, and just different. But things could be worse! Jori and I moved into our new room...with beds close enough together that we could hold hands. Not a big deal for me, as this is how Nicole and my beds at home are situated. Soo, I am used to this, however Jori has never lived this close to me, so we got to know each other a little bit better, and has now accepted me for all of my weirdness and flaws. We are now officially bonded as roomies. The best parts about this new apartment situation were 2 things. First, the shower. We had our OWN shower in our OWN bathroom, this is new as we only have one shower in our real apartment. I kinda liked this shower better, don't tell the other apartment! The other new fabulous attribute to this temporary vacation apartment was...the balcony. Side note: apparently February is the rainy season, today is the first of March, so rumor has it the rainy season is over...cross your fingers please! Lately the weather has been scrumptiously sublime, sunny, super, and filled with sunshine! So back to this balcony, the sun shined directly upon it, meaning we were able to sit outside and attempt to "tan." If you do not know, my skin has not seen much sunlight since I have been here, therefore I am extremely pale and very unappealing. So this balcony was my only source of hope to attempt to achieve a slight bit of color. I have a few freckles, but that is it. Our temporary vacation in this apartment/hotel room was quite the adventure and definitely an added memory to my abroad experience. We moved into the apartment Wednesday evening and moved out Saturday night, so it was a quick trip, but I am more than ecstatic to be resettled and back in my own bed. Great vacation...might be rivaling Venice, Milan, Florence and Paris. Seriously...

During my stay in the temporary apartment, my weekend was filled with more of enjoying Roma and just wandering my new city.

Friday, a few friends and I went to the Edward Hopper museum that was traveling here and discovered the streets near Piazza Navona, with great vintage stores. I didn't buy anything, but I will be going back to hopefully discover a unique find.
Saturday Jori, Rachael and I set out to take the train to the Tivoli Gardens. We left on the sunny day around noon, not really knowing how to get there or where in Tivoli the gardens were located, but we managed to figure it out, and boy was it worth it! The Tivoli Gardens are gorgeous, filled with 100 fountains and words just cannot describe this place. I will be taking my parents there, done. Mom and dad get ready, although Dad you said you've been before. It was just like Lizzie McGuire, but better, yea, better! Sorry Paolo.

Sunday, a few of us decided to finally try "apertivo." Between 7-10 pm ish, bars in Italy have this deal where you buy a drink and then get an all you can eat buffet! Great deal Italians. We purchased a very delicious drink and proceeded to fully enjoy the several dishes arranged on the buffet and then took our small plates filled with food outside to eat in the Piazza Trilussa. Afterwards, Dad you will be proud, we went to the pub Scholars to watch the gold medal hockey game. GREAT GAME, but yes sad loss for USA. Congrats Canada, I am still happy for you. That was the first Olympic event I had yet to watch in Rome...no television access, so it was a very eventful evening. Quite the experience having USA and Canadian fans screaming and chanting in an Italian Irish Pub.
That is all for now, back to school, and looking forward to friends visiting this weekend, and being able to put my knowledge of the city of Rome to use as a tour guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment