Thursday, January 14, 2010

New home in Rome

I have arrived!

After flying from MPLS to the huge airport of JFK to Rome-Da Vinci airport, I have finally landed in Roma.
Yesterday was a fun filled day of airports, finding gates and claiming luggage, but I am lucky that everything went as smoothly as it did. And of course knowing me, I was able to sleep a good amount on the plane + watch Harry Potter and the half blood prince, great choice Delta!
My dad prepared me well with all of his travel advice, including a tutorial on how to go through customs and make sure to jump in line early when boarding the plane in order to make sure my carry on has a spot up above. Dad, my first flight was empty so there was plenty of room for my rolly suitcase, but I still ran to get in line early, and customs was a joke, I didn't even realize I went through. But your advice was still useful...
Feeling a bit unsettled not spotting any SAI JCU kids on my flight, only florence students who I sat with on the plane with, I was afraid I was flying into the wrong airport or something. But I just got a bit carried away with my nerves, and met a few JCU students in the airport and was later greeted by SAI reps smiling and waiting for us. We hopped on a bus, then later a car to take us to our new home for the next 5 months. I am living with three other girls in a great apartment (so much nicer than I expected) it is splendido!
Jori is my roommate, and I am living with another fellow badger Becca, and Grace a red head who is also a chi o that goes to Clemson (its in South Carolina). Our foursome is already getting along swimmingly. The apartment has a darling kitchen, an interesting shower (that has so far been hot) and our view overlooks the main street of Trastevere, viale de Trastevere. We are near all of the other students and the other buildings are just around the corner!
Last night, Grace, Jori, and Jori's friend Rachael from home (who also goes to Wisconsin and has a gift of fashion) went out for our first meal in Rome. We had no idea where to go, but we were just starving, so we picked a random restaurant and went inside. The place was empty, I was a little freaked, but we sat down anyway. The waiter was giving us trouble and teasing us, he spoke really no english, but we managed to order pasta and pizza and it was delicious! Plus the waiter thought I was some sort of movie star named melissa something. I miss interpreted his comment for "family recipe" but the girls corrected me. We still don't know which movie star he was talking about, american or italian? We had a lot of leftovers leaving, but it was a successful first authentic italian meal.
(I am cramming 2 posts into 1, so bear with me as I go on to describe today's events)
Today we woke up promptly at 7 am to walk to campus. It was such a beautiful day and sunny! Rome is gorgeous and I will be having no problem taking the long walk to campus each day, with cappuccino in hand, weather permitting.
After our orientation we walked all over the place, getting lost, finding our way, and getting lost some more. But the getting lost was more of finding new places and seeing more of the area, which was still exciting. I really can't even begin to express how amazing it is that I get to go to school here for the next few months, each building is so unique, with window shutters, rooftop gardens, beautiful trees and colors everywhere. The cobblestone streets are a little tricky and the cars DO NOT stop, lets hope I learn how to look both ways before crossing. There are smart cars everywhere and they are adorable. Mom can I get one? Dad, no it is not the best choice for skiing equipment and road trips, but still think about it.
We found a cute place for lunch, where we ate perfectly wrapped sandwiches (chicken mozzarella and eggplant in between yummy focaccia-nicole). We later had our first grocery shopping trip and got a few things plus some wine to drink with dinner. I am hoping to learn more about wine while in Rome, so I actually know what I am drinking...more to come on that. The grocery carts are so funny, like little rolling suitcases, seriously. (Cara, they have wheels).
Now I am back in my new home, very tired, but so happy and grateful I am here.
Tomorrow we are going on an excursion to a farm!

No comments:

Post a Comment