Tuesday, February 9, 2010

An American (semi Italian) in Paris




21st Birthday in Paris, what more could a girl ask for?

It was off to Paris last Thursday afternoon, we have all become quite the jetsetters. I have never known what I would think of Paris, but I never imagined me loving it...well I thought very wrong. Paris is a wonderful city and I would love the chance to go back and experience more of what it has to offer. It was the perfect way to celebrate my birthday and just could not stop smiling.

Arriving late Thursday night to the small apartment we found online, great deal and perfect amount of space for four girls and three nights. One bed and one pull out couch. Kitchen and bathroom (all in one tiny room). Finding it was like a treasure hunt, but we got to it eventually. Conveniently located between subway (Jared subway) and a cool bar, it really was in the perfect location for first time visitors! We set our bags down and immediately went to a club, le regine. This club was far better than any other club i've ever been to, very hip, lots of dancing, and everyone was dressed impeccably and so stylish. French men are also not so bad. I wish I could be parisian, so lets just pretend. It was a great start to our memorable vacation in Paree.

The next morning, we prepared ourselves for a busy day. We grabbed our first of three crepes while in Paris. Crepe #1: Tomato, mozzarella, basil crepe....umm heaven? Have I arrived? Then off to the Centre Pomidou, for a gorgeous view of the city, and modern and contemporary art exhibits. Next we walked down Champs des Elysees to meet up with a few wisconsin friends. This street is huge and could either make you very happy or depressed with all of the top designer stores and fun shops and delicious restaurants. We walked down this incredible street to the Arc de Triomphe. And after treated ourselves to macaroons to die for at the most precious and adorable bakery, it looked like a doll house. I got one pistachio and one chocolate macaroon. So sweet and yummy. Afterwards it was time to see the Eiffel Tower. Stunning. I walked off the metro stop and turned the corner and there it was. Quite the view. If I lived in Paris I would go to the Eiffel Tower and sit in the park, eating a crepe everyday. Not bad. Really the tower was stunning and I wanted to stay longer just admiring and enjoying the Parisian air. Two friends and I bought a bottle of wine and sipped it in the park staring at the Eiffel Tower, yes. To end the day of sight seeing we made our way to the Louvre, and yes we saw the Mona Lisa. In the Louvre we ran into some fellow badgers who were studying in Seville, hmmm o hey, way to just run into you in the Louvre...
That night a whole group of us, study abroaders of Rome, Seville and Paris all came together to eat fondue and drink wine out of baby bottles. Baby Bottles.

The next day we headed straight to the Jewish quarter to indulge and try the falafel of Paris. MOUTH. WATERING. I am telling you, yes I am going to Israel at the end of my stay in Rome, but seriously this falafel...wow. Israel watch out for Paris. We walked around, in and out of shops, which were too cute and just a tease for a student who would love to buy everything, but yes I am responsible and held back, really held back. Later we saw the Notre Dame and then walked through the Musee D'Orsay to see the works of Monet, Renoir, Cross, Van Gogh and other impressionist artists. What better way to treat yourself after an afternoon of art then hot chocolate? Well, this was no ordinary hot chocolate of course because we are in Paris. Scrumptious.
That night we celebrated my birthday by getting dinner nearby and sharing three entrees and for dessert...Crepe #2: nutella banana. Then we met up with a bunch of friends at the hideout bar. Great way to turn 21 and have my first legal drink...in Paris. It was very surreal turning 21, I still am still not sure how to feel about this, I guess I am old now. Knowing my sister was having an equally fabulous celebration in Israel I felt happy, but missed cheersing to our first drink together being legal. I miss you bunny. There will be another celebration when she comes in April to visit me! In Paris, birthday is said "Anniversarie", and Parisians still know that 21 is a pretty big deal. Great celebration! Thank you to everyone who helped! I will never forget it.

Sunday sadly came too fast and it was time to say farewell to Paris. We grabbed Crepe #3: Egg, Jambon, and formage and took the metro to the airport. And in a blink of an eye (I slept the entire way back) we were back in Rome. Again, so great to come back to my new home, but Paris, you made quite the impression. The vacation was nothing less than incredible and I think I got to see almost everything I could in 2 days, but there is just so much more waiting when I visit again! Great food, great fashion, great sights, great art, great night life. GREAT.

Arriving back in Rome, yes the Super Bowl was on my birthday, we went to the bar at 8 to get a table for the game to start at 12. Watching the Super Bowl in Rome...a bit weird, but probably the best super bowl viewing experience I will ever have. There was still beer and fried food, just in Rome. Go Saints!

Amazing weekend. Bonjour and Merci!

No comments:

Post a Comment