Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Best Day



This weekend is the first weekend since I have been in Rome that I am not traveling, meaning...endless possibilities and finally getting to explore!

I woke up today thinking I would go to my on-site class with my favorite German teacher and then have some lunch and walk around and then return to my apartment...this is FAR from what happened.

I woke up to SUNSHINE! Ok, this is a huge deal! This week has been very rainy and cold and on the verge of monsooning some days, ok maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but the weather has not been so hot lately. And when I see sun, my face instantly lights up! You can do so much more when the weather is nice, and that is what set the tone for this marvelous and thrilling day.

Jori and I got dressed and struggled to pep ourselves up to go to our on site class conveniently meeting at a very close location (normally we meet at a destination we are far from familiar with and play a guessing game of how to get there and how long it will take us, and will we even make it?) Today's class included Largo de' Argentina and a visit to the Pantheon, as well as the Italian Embassy and a few other monuments. Along the way Jori and I noticed the very cute and undiscovered area we were walking through, and we decided to meander back and look at the shops we had passed.

Well we walked into a few stores then realized the hunger pains in our stomachs, so we needed lunch. W did not just get lunch, but we had THE BEST GELATO yet! How did we find this magical haven for gelato? I desperately needed coffee after class and walked into this mecca of gelato . Millions of flavors, any kind of gelato under the rainbow. And candy. And lollipops with the Pope on them. So we had lunch then gelato. Whoever comes to visit me in Rome will be going to this gelateria, lucky you! With gelato in hand we walked to the Trevi Fountain for Jori's first visit, not bad.

Hmmm, what event could be part of "the best day"...finding a new hat! While wandering through this new discovered area Jori and I found a hat store. The hats were authentic italian one of kind, and so cool. The man working could not have been nicer, he was actually a hat guru and helped me try on loads of hats. Needless to say I was extremely happy. Each hat I tried on was more unique than the one before it and this decision was not so easy. I struck up conversation with my new friend in the hat shop, he was an older man, so friendly and knew of Minneapolis! Soooo, he gave me a deal and said I was his favorite Minnesotan. I picked a wonderful new hat that I will be sure to not take off for awhile...well maybe when I go to sleep, and when I start feeling bad for my other hats.

Afterwards, we walked around the market in Campo de Fiori and then met up with Oliver and Todd and headed to the gardens near Piazza del Popolo. Just a walk down Via della Corso and up the Spanish steps leads to this green paradise. These gardens are an oasis like you have never seen, filled with lush green trees, statues, fountains and grass for miles. It really is gorgeous and so relaxing. It is the perfect place to sit and have a picnic and think to yourself, wow I am in Rome. After basking in the sun, lying on the grass and taking a breath from hectic traveling experiences and classes, a brilliant idea came up. Golf Carts. Yes, we rented a golf cart for a half an hour to drive around these wondrous gardens. Best half hour spent ever. The four of us each took our turns driving and and scooted all over the parks and gardens, waving, saying "ciao" and "bueno noche" to all of the italians strolling by, and a necessary honk of the horn when we were feeling extra excited. We parked the golf cart, wishing that half an hour didn't go by so quickly. The walk out of the gardens happened to be just as the sun was starting to set and the light was truly perfect. Exiting the tranquil bliss of a garden, I knew I would be coming back often. The walk to get there is far, but very worth it and I will be finding time to get back quickly.

Starting the day out at 8 am and heading home at 6:30 pm, the day was full and absolutely one of the best days yet! A truly amazing start to my free weekend in Rome. Saturday, SAI has a wine tasting and vineyard tour planned and I will be attending in hopes of learning more about the wine culture here and Rome. Ciao Bella!

No comments:

Post a Comment