Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Mama mia Lori and Papa Rick in Roma


Garelick visit round 2....Parents!

Lori and Rick were expected to arrive to Rome, Italy to visit their daughter Sonja Ann at 8:00 am on Saturday April 10, but were sadly delayed three hours in Atlanta. As they sipped their cosmos and martinis in the Atlanta airport trying to make the time pass in the airport bar, little did they know how excited and antsy their baby daughter Sonja was anxiously waiting for their arrival to Rome.

Sonja had a lovely evening the night prior to their visit, making a delicious meatball and pasta dinner with friends. She was responsible and decided to skip going out that evening and instead to get a good night sleep to rest up for her thoroughly planned week of eating, touring and holding hands. She tucked herself in and closed her eyes waiting to fall asleep and only to wake up to the thrill of knowing Lori and Rick were landing in the Fumicino Airport.

Sonja woke up and speedily brushed her teeth to prepare to greet her parents at the Trastevere train station, but was disrupted by the announcement that Lori and Rick would now not be arriving until noon. She tried to make the time pass fast...and finally the clock struck 12.

She gathered her purse and jacket, stepped into her shoes and fled out of her apartment front door into the sunny warm Roman weather. She placed her ray ban sunglasses over her eyes only to hide the eagerness she was feeling. She skipped down viale di trastevere almost reaching a slow run to reach the station. As she neared, she caught a glimpse of her parents and quickened her slow jog up to more of a sprint. The couple met eyes with their daughter and they finally embraced after so much time of being apart and separated by seas. Now they were together at last, and the couple was about to see Rome through the eyes of their newly Romanized world traveler daughter...


(Hope you all enjoyed that, if you don't mind I will be breaking out of my narrator voice to tell you about their trip here in Rome)

It was more than great to have my mom and dad here and we truly did have such a wonderful time. I knew I was so excited to see them and show them what I have been doing for all of these months and the life I have made for myself here, but the week went by so fast and the best part really was just being together. It was almost like a vacation in Rome while they were here, I took a break from my routine life for those few days and it was amazing.

I will not go into detail about the itinerary of each day that they were here, but I did get them to the main attractions and sites. The four of us had come to Rome before on Spring Break my freshman year of high school, so we had seen all of the tourist sites together once before, so I chose which ones to bring them back to, but mostly show them my favorite spots.

Before they came I did some research to find some new restaurants I wanted to try and take them to experience the best food possible while here, and I am pretty sure I accomplished that. Maybe ask them for yourselves and see if they could breath after each meal...?

Saturday we enjoyed piazza navona and the pantheon, sitting and wandering around parts of Rome. We had amazing pizza at Dar Poeta for lunch and hot mothwatering pasta from Osteria Ponte Sisto (Rick Steve's pick) where the bucatini is to die for and so is their seafood pasta that Dad had.. That night in Trastevere, which is my favorite area in Rome, everyone was out in the streets and it was almost too crowded. The nightlife in Trastevere is very cool and it is just a great atmosphere and time to walk around. I was happy they got to see that area at night and get a feel for where Romans hang out and not just the tourist sites. We ended up heading back toward my apartment to get dessert at the restaurant Le Fate (where the chef from my cooking classes works) and we shared the pear and apple strudel. Yes we were stuffed.

The next day was Sunday, meaning the open market that goes on for miles which occupied our time for quite awhile. Dad loves that stuff. We headed over to the Pantheon and walked around, winding up eating lunch at Miscellenea enjoying salads and pizza and brushcetta (which we got for free shhhh). Trevi Fountain and Via del Corso were on our list that day and it was a walking filled day and tiring, but the three of us had a grand time. Mom, are you impressed with all of the walking us "Romans" do each day? Later that night I walked to their hotel to pick them up for dinner, yes like a good daughter would do (their apartment is conveniently located down my street, so don't give me too much credit). As I was walking there the weather was nice and brisk...as we left the hotel for dinner mother nature decided to release a huge rain storm on Rome...fab without an umbrella. It was certainly hilarious running to the tram in the rain and mom and dad huddling around me to keep me dry. Dad tried to show me the up side of the situation and yes in the end I tried to find the funny in it. They were great sports, something to definitely remember. Our meal was beyond good at Alla Fratte and they were happy campers. The salmon penne was a hit. We finished our meal with lemoncello tiramisu just for dad (he loves lemon desserts).

Monday was a big day because I got a leather jacket! I waited for permission and their help to buy one and we finally found the perfect choice and it was quite an experience buying it. The man's name was Mino, he happened to be Jewish and could not have been more italian or nicer. He ended up taking my number for his sister's son to call me...no phone call yet...I say let's hope it stays that way, mom and dad might think differently. All and all I am glad I waited to buy the jacket with them because I will always remember how I purchased it. Prior to the jacket experience, I took them to the Jewish quarter where we had the best meal in their eyes. The freshest pasta and meatballs and artichokes...let's just say I think they would go back again. The pesto was the best...right dad? Mom...I think you liked the ravioli with ricotta? The Roman Forum was seen and we just walked and walked and walked, all of the food off. Ha. That night we took my girlfriends to dinner and it really was a lovely time. The restaurant choice was perfect and I really was glad that they had a chance to get to know my parents a bit better. We drank wine, had good food and I think we all enjoyed each others' company. I am pretty sure they got to see maybe a little bit of me in my parents and if I resemble them at all...I hope so.

While they were here my top thing I wanted us to do was take a trip to the Tivoli Gardens, for mom. They really are unbelievable and I wanted to take her there as the talented gardener she is. We hopped on the train there early in the morning and found our way to the Gardens. I do think mom was impressed and extremely happy she was able to see the gardens she has heard so much about, and to see them in person rather than just pictures. Everything was in bloom and there were tulips and daffodils everywhere. Pictures were taken and fountains were "ooo'd" and "aww'd" at. It was a lovely day in Tivoli with the parents. We hopped back on the train to get back to Rome at 4pm for a late lunch at the sandwich shop Frontonis. Over the meal we discussed how America should definitely bring sandwiches like these to the eating nation of the US. However, Americans would not understand this type of eating culture. Maybe we will figure out some way to bring this goodness to you all.
For our last meal, which was sad, but still yummy, I wanted to try this new restaurant I had heard rave reviews about from friends and write-ups called Da Enzo. It is in a very cute area in Trastevere and I had never been but expected great things. As we were seated, posted above us was a picture of Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal. If its good enough for them then its good enough for us. It was a tiny tiny little authentic Roman restaurant. We were seated right next to another group of four. We had food that was almost too scrumptious that I didn't want it to end. The fried zucchini flowers and fried cod was my personal fav. But Mom and Dad really liked the rigatoni carbonara. It was a perfect last meal. We sat down for a final cappuccino and I really didn't like the thought of them leaving the next day.

The next morning was more relaxing and I took them to the Bergese Gardens, my next favorite place in Rome. It was very serene there that day and they really like the spot as well. We sat in the gardens for awhile next to a little pond and fountain. They had never seen this area before, so I am glad I could be the one to bring them there for the first time. Afterwards we had salads to take a break from all of the carb overload. And it was time to say goodbye.

Yes, I teared up a bit I will admit it after I bid them farewell at the train platform. It was such a perfect few days, we saw everything I wanted them to see and ate everything I wanted them to eat. And we just enjoyed being with each other and catching up on everything. I finally had the chance to share with them all I have done, stories about the trips I have taken and more about my experience here. I knew they were going to have such a great time in Israel with Nicole, but I could have stood having them here at least one more day...but let Nicole have her turn. I was jealous she was with Mom for her first time in Israel and I was not, but she indeed would be the best person to take her around her first time there. Nicole take it away...

I hope you two had a great time in Rome, doing as the romans do, and I will see you soon in May!

No comments:

Post a Comment