Saturday, April 24, 2010

Plane to Prague



It has been almost a week since I came home from my trip to Prague....things have been a bit hectic and busy with days flying by way too quickly, but have no fear I will still tell you all about my trip to Prague AND back.

Thursday afternoon, after Jori and I did a semi-already trip to Ostia Antica with our on-site history class, we boarded our Wizz Air flight to Prague. I was fairly excited, knowing that of the many people I have spoken to who have traveled to Prague have said how beautiful it is and that it may just be their favorite place traveled to yet! So Jori and I arrived smoothly and safely to the Prague airport around 7:30 pm. After figuring out the bus and metro we found our cute hostel, Pension Tara (a pension is a bit different than a hostel) right off of Old Town Square, a prime location. The air was chilly, but fairly nice and crisp, and I was anxious to see what Prague would be like during the day. We meandered through Old Town Square to meet up with friends from Rome at a cool nicer restaurant called Lary Fary where we shared ginormous kebabs that they hang from a large rod-iron stake at your table. It was overwhelming, yet delicious. Lots of meat and vegetables, no pasta for once. Afterwards we returned to our hostel preparing to hit up the night life, unfortunately our group diminished as they were too tired to go out. Jori and I however were dressed and ready to go, so we found this chic bar called "BED", where, yes, the seating is all beds and you sit on the white linen dressed beds and sip sweet fruity cocktails. I definitely felt a bit sex in the city-ish, and pretended I was Charlotte for a night. It was very low-key, but Jori and I had an exceptional time feeling like true hip Prague-ians.

The next morning we woke up to a beautiful morning and were ready to explore. We grabbed breakfast at the famous Bohemian Bagel in Old Town Square where I had lox!!! I love lox, mmmm. So nice. We regrouped with our friends Cara and Suzy and decided to waste a bit of time by checking out the Charles bridge before setting off on our FREE walking tour of Prague. The Walking tour was perfect! The tour guide Justin was hilarious and told the group everything we needed to know about Prague history and more. It was not for one second boring, during the three hours of the tour, and we went from one end of Prague to the other hearing stories and seeing the sites. Prague is gorgeous, both the New town and Old town. Prague is like no other country I have been to, including the crown currency (everything is in thousands and hundreds). The architecture is above and beyond, much inspired by art noveou. The city is clean and fresh and just enjoyable to walk around. It is a colorful city and I can definitely understand why so many students want to study there. The Charles bridge is something to see, being as huge as it is, made of big brown stone with large statues lining it. The river is so pretty and goes on and on for miles with tress standing on each side. The astronomical clock that stands in the middle of Old Town Square is yes, astronomical, with so many ways to tell the time and little men and skeletons that come alive every hour, it is cool to see, but a bit overrated. Old Town Square, however is huge and has restaurants and shops all around it. So many people flock to it for food and just to sit or stand, but I surprisingly liked the older part of Prague in comparison to the new. At the end of the tour we ended in the Jewish quarter and decided to enter the Holocaust exhibit dedicated to all of the Jews lost in the Holocaust from Prague. There was a special sections devoted to the hundreds of children lost in the war as well. Names lined each wall of the synagogue, end to end, thousands and thousands of names all hand written. It definitely took me aback. The memorial for the children was made up of paintings and drawings the children in the Tenezin concentration camp drew in a project a women created for them to let out their feelings, hopes and fears. These are the only remains that are left that we have to remember these children and proof that they lived. The memorial was nothing less then horrifying and truly heart wrenching, but I am very glad that I chose to go inside. I learned a great deal about the Communist rule of Prague and Hitler's rule in Prague on the tour, that I honestly had no idea about before.
That night we went to a delicious vegetarian restaurant with Jori's friend from high school and her friends abroad. I had an amazing meal, cous cous risotto, it was seriously one of the best meals yet! Afterwards we joined up with the rest of our friends from Rome and friends of friends to check out a club Lucerna, that was having an 80's night. All night we danced and got our grooves on to 80's and 90's music and watched the music videos accompanying the songs. It was fantastic. Yes, the YMCA happened.

The next day we wanted to accomplish seeing the sights we did not see on the tour including the John Lennon Wall and the large Castle of Prague. It was again another gorgeous day and HOT. We walked all over and saw the other side of the Charles River. It was a beautiful and more relaxing day wandering around, ending up at a roof garden to drink some beer. Saturday was going about smoothly, but we eventually knew we would have to deal with this Volcanic Ash situation and figure out how to get home....yes, I guess that was important. Volcanic Ash, ever heard of it? Well we went about our day as we wanted until the clock struck 6 pm, yes the astronomical clock, and it was time to begin the chaos that was about to take place.

Overall Prague was wonderful. I am very happy I made it there and went at the time I did, to see the city in warmer weather. The Czech Republic is an entirely different culture, the city is more modern and easily walkable. I thought it would be bigger than the size it actually is, but the size is very manageable. There is definitely a certain atmosphere to the city, it is very crisp and clean and happy. People are constantly walking around and going and for the most part people were friendly, except for a few interactions. The food ranges from all types, I was sad that I did not get to try goulash or a brat, but the trip was a bit cut short. But I guess I will have to try traditional Czech food another time. I was able to see a great majority of Prague during the time spent there and I would absolute deem it a city to Czech out again....too much?

Ok so are you wondering how I returned homa to roma? Read on to the next blog for all of the juicy details, I know the suspense must be killing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment